Friday, September 12, 2008

Why Maple Leaf Has Nothing To Worry About…

… at least from me.

While on my way home from doing some tech work yesterday I stopped at ye olde grocery store to pick up some of the ingredients required for the evening victuals. I cased the store for the required materials, including the marinara sauce which turned out to be a chore equivalent of an Herculean labour, and while doing so, my eye happened upon something I ate a lot of as a kid growing up on the Rock:

The Vienna Sausage (mmmmmmm sausage).

If you’re not familiar with the Vienna Sausage phenomenon let me explain it to you. Seven wee sausages that have been sitting in a small tin can, in their own juice like substance, since who knows when – they’re only about 2 to 2.4 inches long but that small size is crammed chock full of taste.

Oh yeah, and they’re made by Maple Leaf. You know the guys with the big listeriosis thing on the go right now? 16 people dead, nationwide panic and here’s me wandering through the aisles of the local grocery store drooling mindlessly: “Mmmmmm sausage.”

I try to keep up on public events, but I try not to let panic and fear rule my life. This was not one of those times when I thought through the situation and said to myself: “Corey (I call myself Corey but it is not my true name for you to summon with), after due consideration I believe we can ingest this product safely.” This was a clear cold-cut case of: “Mmmmmmm Sausage.”

If you’re wondering I checked the full recall list of Maple Leaf products and this one wasn’t on there. But now I'm wondering if all those discount meats I bought out of the trunk of that guy’s car are a problem…. “Mmmmm cheap bacon.”

No comments: