Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Multitude of Verisimilitude

Why a Cop’s Life Can Sometimes Suck: Now sure there are bad cops out there – if you believe the movies, every cop is bad or if they’re not they’re after a bad cop – but on the whole I’m a cop supporter. This morning we’re on the freeway driving in and there’s a huge parking stall in the non HOV lanes (love my HOV lane). I get to work and one of the local radio traffic mavens says that the line up is due to an HOV lane check and sarcastically says “Thanks a lot guys” talking to the cops.

I take issue with that.

The cops are doing their job. It is after all ILLEGAL to drive in the HOV lane without the required number of bodies in the seats. But it’s causing an inconvenience (but not to me cause I’m LEGAL IN THE HOV wheeeeee (okay that has to be turned into a song, see below)) so the cops should ignore it.

So a cop can’t check for proper HOV usage without getting flack. A cop can’t arrest a marijuana grower without getting flack (who will then be out on the street in a matter of hours anyway). A cop cannot do anything in this day and age without a high profile investigation of whether or not a criminal’s right has been violated.

In the past couple of years there have been a couple of very high profile mistakes made by the cops, and they were then handled even worse. But I still have faith in the people who go out there and try and enforce the laws set down by the government (granted the same government that then lets those same criminals go with a stern talking to). I wouldn’t want to be on the streets seeing the things they see, dealing with the crap they deal with.

So if any cop reads this – thanks for taking all the shit for me.

Memory: I was going to write an article about who forgetful I’m becoming, but I can’t remember the times I was forgetful.

Football: NFL Football, the only sport I can stand to watch, is back on TV. More time to hang with my boy and watch the games. Though if I’m going to indoctrinate him into my $85 million shoe endorsement deal I need to start watching basketball *shudder*. At least the last two minutes of the game anyway. Shut up evil dingo – its time to put all those times you were stuffed in the locker behind you.

LEGAL IN THE HOV
(Think fast, with a lot of exuberantly played piano)

I’m legal in the HOV
I’m legal in the HOV
I got me gal, she wants to ride with me
I’m legal in the HOV

I’m legal in the HOV
I’m legal in the HOV
It only needs two and that’s you and me
We’re legal in the HOV.

You’re not legal in the HOV
You’re not legal in the HOV
You’re morally corrupt and all can see
You’re not legal in the HOV

I’m legal in the HOV
Woohoo! I’m legal in the HOV
I‘m going fast to where I need to be
Cause I’m legal in the HOV!

No comments: