Monday, September 8, 2008

The Three Pains of Softball

Like all young men, I had an oracle present at my birth and these were the words she spoke on that miraculous occasion:

Lo, beware this one
Whenever he is in the prensence of the ball
That is soft but is not a soft ball
He shall endure the three hurts.
Hurt the first shall be on his arm
Enough for pain, no lasting harm;
Hurt the second will be on his knee
Hey I just tell it, don't glare at me,
Thirdly when he plays softball
And wears upon him no screen at all
A lesson will he up and learn
In the form of dire sun burn.


And sure enough the oracle was right.

I took a fly ball on the forearm. It was hit hard enough that you can see the imprint of the laces around the bruising. I think I'll live though.

I took a stumble going into first base and did a fantastical sprawl leaving much of my knee and not a little of my chains lying in the dirt. I think I'll live though.

When my wife asked me: "do you need sunscreen?" and I replied: "Nah, I think I'm good" it turns out I wasn't good and got burnt. I'm farily certain I'll live though.

The oracle didn't say anything about soreness though.

Useless Oracle...

3 comments:

PrincessButtercup said...

The ball leaving stitch marks is in my humble yet LOUD opinion a mark of honor amoung softball players...I showed off my first one like that, it was on my shin, I tell ya, there is a reason I am a good fielder....the ball in the arm sucks, and the burn, well, I have all these fair people who are both fair in their beauty and fair in their colouring and usually burn to lobster red. Hope got a sunburn the weekend she went camping with Youth Group and it rained the entire weekend...hope the pain is gone and just be thankful that you didn't PULL anything OUCHIE that hurts!

CaroleM said...

Well at least for one of those things I guess I get to say "I TOLD YOU SO!" LOL!

Unknown said...

You did NOT say LOL...