Thursday, September 4, 2008

Use Your Head-Line

I was surfing the web this morning before work starts for something that would catch my eye. Something worth talking about. There's not a whole lot out there I feel inclined to talk about at 7:23 in the morning. But I did find one thing that struck me as funny, not funny haha, not funny peculiar, but funny sad.

The article, New York trucker accused of license plate disappear ruse isn't all that special. It's just a story about some guy in New York who'd rigged his license plate to flip under his truck so that the cameras couldn't see it and he could beat the toll. I leave whether or not he actually did it to the courts to decide.

But in the court of entertainment, I am my own judge.

New York trucker accused of license plate disappear ruse... what kind of a stupid headline is that?

I mean yes it fulfills the duty of a headline in that it sort of tells you what the article is about, but the only reason I clicked on it was try and figure out what the article was trying to say. It's like they threw article related words into the Bingo hopper and that's what came out.

Here's some alternate headlines they could have chosen:

1) Truck Driver takes Licence with toll fare
2) Truck Driver engaged in Un-Fare Behavior
3) New York Driving Authority cuts Cable on Truck Driver
4) New York Truck Driver rigs Rig

Those are just a few headlines I came up with in 3 minutes. They're not the best headlines in the world, but I venture they're better than "New York trucker accused of license plate disappear ruse" and I haven't even finished my first coffee yet.

Put some effort into it news people or there'll be a new headline and it will read: "People not read newspaper it not doing good"

No comments: