Monday, September 22, 2008

A Brief Glimpse inside My Head

Lately I’ve been sick, not knocked down dragged out at Death’s Door kind of sick; I’ve just had a run of the mill cold. But from this cold I learned something, other than the fact that phlegm comes in interesting colors: my brain has at least three operating stages.

And here they are:

“Normal” stage: this stage is far from normal. When I’m healthy there’s so much going on in my head that I sometimes find it hard to concentrate. There’s always a buzz in the background and from that great buzz stuff comes out: a funny comment, a poem – frankly it can be anything. There’s a droning that’s always going on: maybe it’s the voices of the Many Man, the original inspiration for He Through Which All Voices Can Be Heard (htwavcbh  see it stands for something); maybe it’s the bingo roller of thought that gives me ideas for things or maybe a mosquito flew in my ear as a kid and has made his home there.

Low Power Operating Mode: In the initial stages of sickness I feel run down physically, mentally however the controlled flow of juice means that I actually understand most of thoughts that are cycling around my brain. I get only one idea at a time, which I can then focus on and complete, if I could harness this for work that wouldn’t be a bad thing from work’s point of view. Even now I can tell I’m starting to feel better and my mind is wandering even as I type th…. Oooo a butterfly!

FOG Stage: This is that stage where everything is distant. Acronyms and concepts I’ve worked with for years are too far away to grasp. My thoughts are the equivalent of the sigh of Droopy Dog. FOG Stage is fun, but it’s not safe for work.

Now that I’m back on the road to a healthy me I look forward to the normal chaos of thought, back to that party in the old brain pan!

No comments: