Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Punching the Clock

Dear Solitary Reader:

x-axis: Yesterday my son asked me if we could play MarioKart. I didn’t want to so I lied and told him I couldn’t find it (I know, I’m horrible, but you all do it or if you don’t, fine you’re better than me, I can live with that). Instead I suggested we play the brand new racing game I’d just picked up – with real race cars and everything!

“What’s that Daddy!? He asked. “Gran Turismo 5” was my reply. “That’s a great idea Daddy!” He said . So upstairs we went to plug in the game and race til our hearts were content – or until supper was ready, whichever came first.  We were off to the races.
 
Or were we?
 
See with pretty much every PS3 game I’ve ever bought there’s a point when you plug in the game where it tells you something or someone in the system needs to be updated – the hamster running inside the PS3 needs to do  another line or something – and generally the process is fairly quick. Not so much on this occasion. In the time it took to update the game my son and I were able to do the following:

  • put lunches together for the kids
  • put lunches together for the adults
  • have a relaxing supper which involved my son watching a couple of episodes of Dora the Implorer (that’s the one where she whines for a new backpack and a less annoying sidekick) so its not like we wolfed it down.
  • build a non-functioning robot out of Trio (he got it for Christmas and unfortunately it didn’t come with the “polar bear bones” fuelled power pack required in order to bring our creation to life). I still have hopes that putting the heart of a cat in there will do the job, but I just can’t catch my cat – he’s wily.
  • I went to swimming lessons and proceeded to splash and flail in the water for 45 minutes.
  • I stopped on the way home to pick up cat food (I’m hoping I can use the food to lure him closer and his HEART WILL BE MINE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
  • Arrived home to find the boy being put to bed and the little girl long asleep.
  • I showered to get the chlorine from the pool off and wash away my scent in the hopes of evading the cat’s super sense of smell.

At some point while showering the game finally finished doing its thing. My wife then proceeded to install a few things to the hard drive, which she’d started before I’d began showering. At some point the install then got to the 14 minute remaining mark. And there it stayed… 14 minutes remaining while we watched more than half of an episode of Hawaii 5-0. That’s’ about 25 minutes; we stopped the show halfway through as it was a fairly boring episode and the game still told us there was 14 minutes left.
 
Y –axis: For years I’ve suspected that my computer is lying to me. When I install a program, when I delete a large number of files, when I do essentially anything other than play Zuma Blitz on the computer I get the little Windows window telling me there’s x amount of time left. The problem with the x- number is: when the “2 min remaining” note is up for 10 minutes, its more frustrating than helpful.
 
The phone company tells you to be home between 8-5 in order to catch your service guy. That’s awful, but it’s a definite time frame. When 2 minutes remaining edges into the 3 minute mark you’re entering the realm of the unknown. It could be in the next second – it could be 4 hours from now. You just don’t know. That’s worse than sitting at home for 9 hours.
 
And is it just me or in recent versions of the Windows Operating system, have they gotten rid of the hour glass? That silly old hour glass never stopped turning. When you think about it, if you keep turning over the hour glass before all the sand hits the bottom, you’re just resetting the clock, and you ain’t never gonna reach your destination that way.
 
Intersection: As a parent there’s only so much time in a day that we’re allowed to waste, and when I spend my wasted time wasting time waiting it makes me want to go all “Hulk Smash” over the offending item. These manufacturers of technological items know they don’t know how long a process will take, but they’re afraid to tell us. GT knows if there is a warning label indicating a 4hr wait on the box I might not buy it. But they don’t want to say that so they offer us false hope with time estimations that don’t mean anything.
 
That’s right GT… I know you know where the MarioKart is, you can’t lie to a liar.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that the King in waiting is no longer only sinking when in the water and has progressed to flailing about. Well done. I have one question though related to this most recent missive. What is trio?

Oh yes, in regards to the PS3 update. I believe that because your house has been built over an ancient aboriginal burial ground of a lost civilization that you are having issues. Here on the Great White North Shore we do not seem to experience these same issues of "waiting" , whatever that might be, for identical software and hardware updates...eh? I suggest relocation in order to deal with the tragic circumstances of your technological shortcomings.