Thursday, February 10, 2011

Grounds for Complaint

 

Dear Solitary Reader:
 
Twice today while taking the last gulp of coffee from my travel mug I got a mouthful of coffee grounds. You might be thinking I should have learned from the first time but these two mugs of coffee came from two completely different sources: one from home, the other from the coffee shop near my work.

 
If you’re a coffee drinker you’ve probably experienced this at one point or another. You’re about to hit the moment you’ve worked toward for the last hour or so, the final sip of coffee (for this cup anyway), when instead of a mouthful of liquid you get a mouthful of liquid with a little extra on the side.

The inside.
 
I’m not sure what the galactic reason for my negative coffee karma is today. To my knowledge I am still the holder of the Folger’s Crystal, the Taster’s Choice (don’t ask, I’m not proud of it), the Master of Maxwell’s House, the best part of waking up (you know, if I wasn’t married I’d be using that as a pick up line “Hey baby, take me home with you tonight and I’ll be the best part of waking up oh yeah…” I’m fairly certain I would then still be single) and he who is Na-Bob (as in, my dad’s Bob, but I’m nay-bob).
 
Out of the whole rigmarole comes an interesting, to me at any rate, notion and really I’m certain its not specific only to me: that last ruined swig of swill ruins the entire cup. What’s interesting is, on the second cup, I remember the first sip being especially tasty – exactly what coffee should be – hot, bitter, and gut churning. I could have kept drinking it all day at that point. And then I swallowed those grounds of coffee.
 
Now when I think about that coffee, and the one before it, I am sad, and it feels like I have a lump in  my throat (about the size of a ground of coffee) which no amount of catlike hairball like hchhhhhhhh-ing can get out.
 
There’s an old saying still booting around out there: you only get one chance to make a first impression. This is true as far as it goes, but I think you have to be sure to add the Maxwell House Modifier. The saying from henceforth should be: You only get one chance to make a first impression, but you’d better be good to the last drop or that first impression doesn’t matter.

oh… did you know I used to be in those Taster’s Choice commercials of a generation ago? Check out the pic:

tC

No comments: