Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Powerless

Dear Solitary Reader:
 
x-Axis: The other night while getting ready for bed my wife was watching a show on the Discovery Channel, or National Geographic or the shopping channel or some such; in the show some academic, afraid to go out and live in the real world, was trying to recreate a certain type of ship that people built and sailed in 1200 years ago.

In this particular show one of the labourers, working for mouldy crusts I’m sure, was using a chainsaw to cut wood for the ship. At this point my wife said: “I’m fairly certain they didn’t have chainsaws 1200 years ago.”

I then informed her that based on all of the history television I’ve watched 1200 years ago they would have been using talking birds with very sharp teeth to cut through the trees. My wife paused and looked at me with that kind look she gets in her eyes when she’s about to slay one of my childhood beliefs and that was when I learned the Flintstones were not necessarily historically accurate …
 
Shows like this are growing in frequency as we struggle with the notion people  living thousands of years ago could do things we have trouble doing with a seemingly much more advanced technological level; its commonly known by scientists and directors of Discovery Channel shows  that people who lived thousands of years ago were idiots and couldn’t hold a candle to the things we can do today.
 
The intent of such shows is, obviously, to a) prove our intellectual superiority over those who have come before (because let’s face it, it would really suck if we hadn’t learned anything as a species in 1200 years … wouldn’t it?) and b) to prove if we, with our level of intellectual and technological superiority, can’t build now what they built then they must have had help from aliens.
 
I’m fairly certain we as a species haven’t learned anything that grandiose collectively, except for different ways of doing the same thing; but if by some fluke we are more advanced than the people of 1200 years ago, rather than just different, I’ve discovered a flaw in our plan for temporal dominance.
 
y-axis: On Monday of this week my wife and I had a rare simultaneous day off – one that wasn’t a weekend. On this day we, horribly yes, sent the kids to daycare with the idea of getting some things done around the house that needed doing. The first thing which had to be done was to register the boy for Kindergarten.

The second thing to do was to go through the clothing for both boy and girl and find out who had outgrown what, what had outgrown who, why there was an owl in the closet and finally put some things up on shelves.

But after we had done these things, these many things, my wife and I planned to go to our separate rooms, her to pursue her hobby of quilting and me to pursue my hobby of wasting my life away playing World of Warcraft (6 years and counting baby!).

Monday dawned bright and early – the rest of the house was asleep. I was feeling remnants of illness inspired by too much good Superbowl party food and woke up early. At 5:40 I was flying in Outlands when…. zzzzzzhoooooop – away went the power.

It proceeded to stay gone until roughly about an hour before it was time to pick up the kids.

For the day my wife and I went about the chores we had planned thankful it was a sunny day rather than raining for without light the house is dark (actually without light everywhere is dark); at one point I went to drill some holes in the wall to add shelving in my daughter’s room. On the first screw I noticed the drill didn’t have much juice, on the second screw I noticed it much less juice than on the first screw. Murphy’s law was at play for the drill was running out of power on the one day I couldn’t recharge it.

My first thought was to grab the talking snake I use to screw in screws manually, he complains a lot but gets the job done, but I recalled the conversation I had with my wife a few days prior (and the one with PETA the night before) and let him go. I then found myself doing what those ancients of 1200 years ago must have done… head-butting the screws until they were in.

When I came to, it was dark. The power was still out. Also I had punctured my occipital lobe. After a trip to the doctor in which he replaced the lobe and told me I was awesome true story we went out to lunch; both of us fearful of what we would have to do when we got home to a powerless house…. talk to each other.

Fortunately my wife pretended she had a headache and went to lie down; I was saved from having to contemplate anything serious by the return of power.

Intersection: So what’s the big flaw in our dominance of people 1200 years ago?

Power. 

As a people, this side of the world is very dependent on electricity and all the thingamajiggies and doodads we use if for; when the power goes and the touch of our iTouch is cold and lifeless how would we survive for long. WE WOULD HAVE TO TALK TO EACH OTHER!

As Spiderman’s uncle said: “Peter get me a beer!” And also: “With great power comes the ability to play PS3, run sewing machines, traffic lights, TVs, electric lawnmowers.” With no power comes none of that. 1200 years ago if the power went that meant the king had died, and another one took his place; a much shorter service interruption than that provided by BC Hydro I’ll tell you.

So, 1200 year ago me, I hope you’re sitting some where writing a fairly funny blog in ochre on a cave wall (I’d imagine it looks something like: BULL, MOUNTAIN, SUN, BIRD BIRD FISH LOL RFLMAO) and make sure to do something mysterious for me; so some trumped up academic who’s cousin works for Discovery can make a show out of whatever it is and tell the world that even though you managed to do it without all the help we have you are still somewhat less than we are.

bulb

No comments: