Monday, February 21, 2011

Reach Out & Touch Someone…

Today I walked into the lunch room at work and felt as if I were walking onto the set of a commercial. Of the five people in the lunch room all of them were plugged into their smart phones. I was the only one who’d brought a book.
  
At first I was going to wax poetic on how no one talks to anyone at lunchtime anymore. But then I realized that would be hypocritical because I couldn’t remember the days when people talked to each other in the lunchroom because I never talked to people in the lunchroom – I’ve always brought a book.
 
But really, if I were a non-reader, think how my world would have changed.
 
Way back in the day (like 5 years ago) if you weren’t a reader and worked with a bunch of people you disliked, or detested or had nothing in common with, you were hooped. As a reader you always got the odd look, a mix mash of contempt for your choosing to read over socializing tinged with respect you were brave enough to read in public. But if you weren’t a reader you sat and were at the mercy of having to listen to coworkers natter on about their kids, their cats or their home reno projects.
 
You hated the person with the book. You wanted to take that book and beat them with it; and then, when you were exhausted in the unplanned activity, you realized what you wanted most was to be reading that book.
 
But now, thanks to smart phones, which is a misnomer because the phone is only as smart as the person who uses it, Husky Joe Lunchbox doesn’t have to listen to Patty Poundcake talk about her latest cuisine creation because Patty is actually talking to all her baker friends on her Google group; nor does he have to nod in time to Spencer Sportsguy as he talks about how his favourite team did because Spencer is watching highlights on ESPN.com on his phone and picking players in his fantasy league.
 
Our Husky hero is no longer at the mercy of Dora Daycare as she talks about how her little Jimmy is growing again and got 5th cello in his kindergarten Easter play as she compares notes with her Mom’s group and schedules Jimmy’s birthday party – because we’re certain there’s an app for that.
 
Husky Joe no longer has to listen o any of these people, but Husky Joe is now experiencing something he has never felt before – loneliness. Husky Joe, who still can’t bring himself to read a book (because it’s what nerds do), finds himself awkwardly lonely. He misses Patty’s recipes, to the point where he’s almost willing to admit he’s tried a few; he misses Spencer’s Sports Spout – to the point that he’s started watching baseball just in case Spencer brings it up again. He’s not at the point where he misses Dora’s dialogue, but he’s getting there.
 
Husky Joe is about to reach a breaking point: he’s about to initiate conversation.
 
I wonder if smart phones are changing society. Is there some great societal affect to being closer to people on other continents than in our own work place even though its not in a physical sense? I can’t answer that as I’m not an anthropologist (I have a real job) but will history look back on us and see this as a time when technology began to subvert physical proximity? As we in the precursor years to Skylab?
 
Smart phones are wonderful things, don’t get me wrong. I have one and I use it. But perhaps it says something about me that I use my smart phone to read The Three Musketeers, on a book reader app when I forget to bring my book to the lunch room while Husky Joe Lunchbox looks out the window at the snow falling, looking for something to say that will tear people away from their phones.

You know what it says? I’m really anti-social.

No comments: