Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Why My Floors Won’t Stay Clean

PT 3: Where a kid can be a kid.

So the final part of this investigative report leads me to the third leg of the floor messing triumvirate – my boy.

He’s bursting up against the line of three years old and while he no more messes the floor in terms of dirt than I do (in fact he would argue, and rightly so, that as my feet are bigger I track more dirt across the floor), he does often leave behind more of an impact on a room than I.

With the condition of being 2 years and a bit – which will be cured next week when he becomes three – comes the attention span of a moth in a light bulb testing facility. He flits from toy to toy – from giant bean bag chair to the colloquially known toys called “up/downs’ and then back, to trains, to a sheep puppet to a bike used primarily for the running over of the afore mentioned sheep puppet, to blocks, to cars, back to trains… well you can see the life of a toddler is a busy one. In the face of that creative blitzing, who am I to ask him to pick up his toys?

His father that’s who.

78.4% of the time we manage to engage him in the cleaning up aspect of playing (though really sometimes he just phones it in and drops a couple of blocks in the bucket). But a room that was clean two minutes ago can quickly look like a plane took off in a toy factory if this boy rambles about unchecked.

And there you go – three reasons why the floor never seems to be in a state of perpetual cleanliness despite the war waged by my wife and I – the war on dirt. Fall (FALL KILLS), Cats & Kids.

I hope you’ve enjoyed these incredibly boring diatribes on an incredibly boring subject.

No comments: