Wednesday, October 15, 2008

When the Majority Wants a Minority

The election has passed and much like the week to week clothing of your average high school boy – nothing has changed.

I listened to a lot of my friends yesterday talk about how they were voting, or had voted in the past, for the party they felt would lose but be the best opposition. Now there’s nothing wrong with opposition in the political house, theoretically out of debate will come compromise and golden ideas, but correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t the whole point of democracy to vote for the candidate you feel would be best?

Granted that can be a hard choice when you’re picking between slimeball and slimeball.

To me this election is one more indication that the political system in Canada just doesn’t work. I like living in Canada for the most part. All you need to do is wake up on a frosty morning and watch the sun come over the mountains and you’ll know why. But when it comes to politics and the way this country is run, it almost makes me want to go get involved and fix it myself (and the thought of me in politics is scarier for me than you).

I’m tired of living in a country of political dithering. We have essentially four parties full of people who are now getting paid to not make decision that affect our lives every day. Again. Didn’t we just have that? Didn’t it just not work?

Why, as Canadians, do the majority of us feel we have to have a minority government? Do we feel that the term minority means it’s politically correct to vote it in? The hippies and tree huggers our there are all paranoid in their tinfoil hats that Stephen Harper is going to start introducing capital punishment for gay people – here’s a news flash: the goal of any political party, and any politician, is to get itself/himself/herself re-elected: Harper maybe a beady eyed freakazoid but he’s not about to cut off his meal ticket nor that of his party.

Yes majority governments in the past have screwed up. And yes they will screw up again in the future.

Out of this whole process one thing I have seen. Democracy is government by the people; the people were indecisive – and so for the next 3 or 4 years so too will its government. Our new motto: Canada – we think we’re indecisive, but we’re not too sure.

But I guess this complaint is coming a day too late.

But I did vote.

So I do get to complain.

Observastions of Life: In this new section I will try to post little tidbits of things I've observed. Today's observation: Men - If there's a wet patch just in front of a urinal in the men's washroom, assume it's not water. Ladies - if you notice a wet patch just in front of the urinal you're in the wrong washroom.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the CBC radio programs ran a contest a few years back. Fill in the blank:
As American as apple pie.
As Canadian as ___________.

The winner? "As Canadian as can be, under the circumstances"

PrincessButtercup said...

I voted yesterday. Why you ask? It's the responsible Canadian thing to do. But also because you said the whole, vote or you don't get to complain bit that I agree with.

Thanks for your blog! It adds layers to my opinion!

Unknown said...

Actually I think it was Carole who said vote or you don't get to complain.

But she's right!

But good on you for voting whoever you voted for!