Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Eyeballs & Lego

So the Thanksgiving weekend is over and I’m fairly sure I weigh more than I did before it began (that’s a scary thought for those of you who know me I’m sure). I spent a little too much time being in a foul mood this weekend rather than being thankful though.

Saturday morning I woke up and the world wasn’t as clear as it used to be. Now I’m not talking about some philosophical quandary I was finding myself in; not some existentialist angst that was keeping me from seeing the world as it truly is. Nay! What I’m talking about is Iritis.

No, it’s not a Roman playwright.

Iritis is an eye condition wherein the iris of the eye (hence the Iritis) becomes inflame. The side effects are redness of the eye, a change in the color of the eye (sometimes), an aversion to sunlight, the need to drink blood… okay that’s actually vampirism… and in this case crappily reduced vision.

To put it bluntly I have my very own fog bank inside my right eye. So today I call the eye doctor and in the next day or so I get to go back and cross my heart hope to die he’ll stick a needle in my eye.

But as they say when one sense falters another picks up the slack.

My sense of Lego (that’s the 11th sense… the senses run like this: sense of sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, ESP, humour, fashion, fair play, self and Lego) apparently has grown exponentially, having discovered this weekend that I have the ability to construct some fairly cool Lego constructs where last weekend had troubles fitting two blocks together.

On Saturday Duncan and I were having fun with the Lego – just two boys playing on the floor with blocks. I was able to build a fairly involved raised train system for his Thomas the Tank set… essentially turning Thomas into a skytrain (and he instantly turned grumpy and had technical defects).

The boy was impressed enough to have me come back in as a special guest block builder again on Sunday and Monday (on which I actually constructed my first Lego house complete with roof.

Throw some turkey in there and that was my weekend.

No comments: