Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gonad is so a word - warning possibly risque

I'm on the yahoo site now, a weewee bit of time on my hands but not enough to do anything actually useful (hence this blog), and I'm playing Bookworm. It's one of those games where you have to make words out of a jumble of letters.

I'm doing fairly well with the game so far, mostly because I'm decent at being able to get the bonus word. I'm up to 527K if you're interested.

But now you might say I have a bone(r)... to pick with the game. You see, when you get a letter over 5 tiles long its supposed to go gold and you get bonus points... bonus points! Anyway I have five tiles lined up... one is a G... the next is an O... then there's an N... followed by an A.... and to round it off? A D... what's that spell? That spell's GONAD. No golden gonad here.

Only Bookworm doesn't want me to use GONAD (I'm capitalizing it because of my outrage*). So I went on to google images and did a search for gonad. Google images is not where you want to go and do a search for gonad... So I went to normal google and did a search for Gonad... and lo and behold here's the following definition: "The gonad is the organ that makes gametes."

Ignoring the irony of the fact that a game called Bookworm will not allow me to use the word gonad, this is symbolic of a flaw in society.

I bet if I'd put in willie, rod & tackle, or even Stanley the Power Drill, Bookworm would have taken it (and you'd get a lot of points for that last one). But if those tiles fall on penis.. that would hurt... I mean if those tiles fell in the order to spell the word penis Bookworm wouldn't take that either. Because penis is a bad word. But it also happens to be the actual word referring to the actual organ.

So Bookworm, are you ashamed of the word penis? The word Gonad?

Oh, ironically the bonus word I'm after is ... crabs... true story.

*any and all outrage is entirely feigned*

No comments: